Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Wave- Unabridged and Scattered Thoughts

I don’t want to wait anymore. I want to go far, far away and I want to stay there until I have learned to be strong. I want to endure and here there is nothing to endure. I am suffocated by the structured, organized way of life. I don’t feel free. I feel like I cannot do as I need to do. I am not the person I need to be, the person pulsing in my veins. I want to scream and scream and scream until everything around me melts away.
I feel like I’m in limbo, like I am treading water. I feel like I’m weak. I feel contained. I want to get rid of everything. I want to strip myself bare, to beat all this out of me so that I know what I am. Get rid of the crust, the mile-deep weights of society and suburbia and stare at what’s left. That’s me. I am what remains.
I don’t know how to scrape everything off here. I just don’t see how to wipe off the cell phone, the TV, the cozy mattress, the shelf of niceties, the heap of rules- not after dark, not this weekend, there’s a family dinner tonight, your cousins will be in town, no hours alone, no, no, no, no, no! I want to be the one to say no, not them. I want to decide. I want to GO! Let me go, let me go, let me go, let me go, let me go, let me go, let me go! I need to leave now. It’s time now. I need to endure. I need to vanish from practicality, I need to rip myself out of the ground. They can’t let me go. They are prisoners of practicality. For God’s sake, I don’t want kids. I will become a prisoner of practicality and restriction. I will wall myself in with responsibility. I will drown in an orb of thick meaninglessness. Take your cell phone, not after dark, family dinners, cousins in town, I don’t feel like making a decision....no, no, no. Dependency. Tons and tons and tons of dependencies. I’ll fall in if I’m not careful. I’ll let it soak into me. None of that. I’m after freedom.
If I can successfully strip myself bare and see what’s left, if I at least know what I am, I will have happiness- like stone. I will have spirituality. I will have freedom. I’m sick of waiting. I don’t want to get sucked in. I’m already mostly there and I have three more years to go of limbo, of prison. I’m serving a sentence for being a product of suburbia. Thus far, it’s all I am- that I know of. But I don’t know what’s inside me besides the screaming sex desire of a teenager.

I am hard on myself, she says. You are too soft on yourself. This is who I WANT to be, not who I am forcing myself to become. This is what I WANT! Deal with it.

My least favorite thing about myself is my lack of compassion. I am selfish. Haven’t you read these pages? All I ever do is complain and this itself is even a complaint. I wish I could be satisfied. I want to bear no judgment on anyone, I want to help other people, I want to be forgiving. I want to love everything I see, and yet all I ever think about are my wants, as demonstrated by every sentence. All I ever do is bitch. As far as I know, that’s all I even am. I am the essence of hypocrisy. I am bitching about how much I bitch. It’s even laughable. I say not to judge as I judge, I say not to complain as I complain, I say to love as I hate, I say to help as I hurt, I say to forgive as I hold grudges near my heart. I am a suburban teen, classically. Wow. Let’s get rid of these actions and focus on the speech. Scrape off your hypocrisy with everything else. Go home.

5 comments:

Here Lies the Mystery said...

Wow...take me with you.

Claire said...

I miss you.

When's dinner? said...

Elise, you're perfect the way you are. You can't love wihtout hate, or hate without love. Hurt is part of life, and will happen wether you mean it to or not. Accept it. Accept who you are, your habbit of bitching and all. ;)

Elise said...

thanks, sam, but I'm trying to improve as a person. I can do and be better and i know it.

When's dinner? said...

There's always room for improvement. Even I'M not perfect, after all. I'm just saying, I'll love you no matter what you do.