Thursday, May 24, 2007

Written For Halloween

The thick, musty air slowed my pace, its stiff body as quiet as death. No tree limbs rustled, no birds squawked, the insects made no song. Silence... sheer, pure silence. It swallowed me, nipped at my soul, gripping me with an undeniable fear. And yet I moved on over the hills. Strangely, no leaves brushed me face and there was no twig on the earth to trip me. It was as though I was destined to walk this land, as though I treaded a well-kempt path, but there was none, only virgin wilderness.
My heart echoed in my chest The air remained cold as ice, the world remained silent, but I could feel that something in the atmosphere had changed. Suddenly, a shrill sound ripped through the fog, damning the silence. My swollen veins slowed the rush of my blood. I knew the sound had come from death itself.
I heard suddenly heard a cruel, heavy panting from behind me. Twas the only sound in existence. Closer, closer, closer still. Slick, damp fur combed over my left arm. I could no longer move forward. I just could not. My mind and lungs grew numb with fear. The panting was only inches from my ear hot and sticky with the stench of blood. Fate gathered me in its hands and then nothing, nothing at all.

1 comment:

Here Lies the Mystery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.